William F. Scully III, MD
Dr. Scully is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee joint replacement surgery. An Ohio native, he graduated from Georgetown University School of Medicine. Following his orthopaedic residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA, Scully continued his military service in the U. S. Army as a staff orthopaedic surgeon, deploying to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. He completed his fellowship training in adult reconstruction orthopaedics at Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
Dr. Scully's expertise includes specialty training in anterior and minimally invasive posterior hip replacement, complex and revision hip and knee replacement surgery, robotic hip and knee replacement surgery, and partial knee replacement surgery. From his prior U.S. Army service, he also has gained considerable experience with knee and shoulder arthroscopic surgery, to include ACL and meniscal surgery, rotator cuff repair and shoulder labral repairs, as well as orthopaedic trauma surgery. Scully has been a physician since 2008.
Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center
437 Portage Trail
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
Fax: (330) 929-9189
M.D., Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC – 08/2004- 05/2008
B.S. in Zoology, University Honors, Miami University, Oxford, OH- 08/2000- 05/2004
International University Study Program, Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia – 08/2002- 12/2002
Post Graduate Education and Training
Adult Reconstruction Orthopaedic Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH – 08/2017-07/2018
Orthopaedic Surgery, Internship and Residency, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA – 06/2008- 06/2013
Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) 08/2015- present
Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS) 10/2016-present
Ohio State Licensure, #130981, 04/2017- present
Active Duty Staff Orthopaedic Surgeon, Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, GA - 08/2013 – 06/2017
Orthopaedic Surgeon, deployed supporting Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Forward Operating Base (FOB) Chapman, 28th CSH, Afghanistan – 09/2013 – 02/2014
Assistant Professor in Surgery, F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine, University Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) – 02/2014 – present
Orthopaedics Clinical Preceptor, Interservice Physician Assistant Program (IPAP) Phase 2, U.S. Army Health Readiness Center of Excellence, Fort Sam Houston, TX
Professional Memberships and Activities
Member, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) 2013- present
Member, American Orthopaedic Association's (AOA) Emerging Leaders Program 2012- present
Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
Member, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (SOMOS) 2008- present
Member, The Honor Society of Phi Beta Kappa
Honors and Awards
Summa Cum Laude, Miami University, Oxford, OH 2004
-Awarded to those graduating with >3.9 GPA on 4.0 scale
University Honors, Miami University, Oxford, OH 2004
-Awarded for graduating in the university Honor's Program
Presidents List, 2 semesters in attendance, Miami University 2003- 2004
-Awarded for cumulative semester GPA of 4.0 on 4.0 scale
Dean's List, all remaining (5) semesters in attendance, Miami University 2000-2003
-Awarded for cumulative semester GPA >3.5 on 4.0 scale
Meritorious Service Medal 06/2017
Afghanistan Campaign Medal 10/2013
NATO ISAF Medal 02/2014
Army Achievement Medal (x3)
- For presenting research at a national scientific meeting 12/2012
- For presenting research at a national scientific meeting 12/2011
- For presenting research at a national scientific meeting 12/2010
Army Commendation Medal (x4)
- For honorable medical and military service while deployed to 10/2013-02/2014
- For successful completion of Madigan Army Medical Center Orthopedic 06/2008-06/2013
Surgery five year residency
- For scoring in the 100 th percentile for the PGY5 year group and 11/2013
overall on the Orthopaedic In-Training Exam (OITE)
- For scoring in the 94 th percentile for the PGY4 year group and 11/2012
95 th percentile overall on the Orthopaedic In-Training Exam (OITE)
Team coverage experience
Team coverage experience
Orthopaedic surgeon for the 3rd Ranger Battalion and Ranger Training Battalion, Fort Benning, GA 4/2015- 06/2017
Chief, Orthopaedic/Podiatry Service, Martin Army Community Hospital 2015-2016
Residency program representative to the AAOS 2010- 2013
Orthopaedic residency representative, Madigan Hospital Resident Council 2008- 2010
Local and National Service
AOA/Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Associate Editor Panel member for CME questions – 06/2016- present
- Journal of Arthroplasty - 03/2017 – present
- Orthopedics – 09/2013 – present
- Military Medicine – 05/2014 – present
Peer-reviewed (* denotes a mentored student, resident, or junior faculty member)
- Scully W, Piuzzi NS, Sodhi N, Sultan AA, George J, Khlopas A, Muschler GF, Higuera CA, Mont MA. The effect of body mass index on 30-day complications after total hip arthroplasty. Hip Int. 2019; Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 30719937.
- Rohena-Quinquilla IR, Rohena-Quinquilla FJ, Scully WF , Evanson JR. Femoral neck stress injuries: analysis of 156 cases in a U.S. Army active duty military population and proposal of a new MRI classification system. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018;210:1-7. [ePub ahead of print].
- Wilson DJ, Milam BP, Scully WF, Balog TP, Min KS, Chen CS, Marchant BG, Arrington ED. Biomechanical evaluation of unicortical stress risers of the proximal humerus associated with pectoralis major repair. Orthopedics . 2017 [ePub ahead of print]. PMID: 28817161.
- Corey SA*, Bunyasaranand J*, Scully WF , Rumley JC, Cameron CD. Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. Orthopedics Today . June 2017.
- Wilson DJ*, Scully WF , Min KS, Harmon TA, Eichinger JK, Arrington ED. Biomechanical analysis of intramedullary vs. superior plate fixation of transverse midshaft clavicle fractures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg . 2016;25(6):949-53. PMID: 26775744.
- Wilson DJ*, Scully WF , Rawlings J*. Evolving role of ultrasound in therapeutic injections of the upper extremity. Orthopedics . 2015;38(11):e1017-24. PMID: 26558666.
- Scully WF , White KK, Song KM, Mosca VS. Injection-induced gluteus muscle contractures: Diagnosis with the "Reverse Ober Test" and surgical management. J Pediatr Orthop . 2015;35(2):192-8. PMID: 24992345.
- Morgan EN*, Crawford DA, Scully WF , Noce N. Medical management of distal radius fragility fractures. Orthopedics . 2014;37(12):e1068-73. PMID: 25437080.
- Scully WF , Wilson DJ*, Parada SA, Arrington ED. Iatrogenic nerve injuries in shoulder surgery. J Am Acad Orthop Surg . 2013;21(12):717-26. PMID: 24292928.
- Scully WF , Wilson DJ*, Arrington ED. "Central" quadriceps tendon harvest with patellar bone plug: surgical technique revisited. Arthrosc Tech. 2013;2(4):e427-32. PMID: 24400194.
- Scully WF , Crawford DA, Brugman SC*, Manoso MW. Glenoid component failure after total shoulder arthroplasty with migration of the component into posterior subcutaneous tissue: A case report. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2013;22(3):241-4. PMID: 24063802
- Scully WF, Wilson DJ*, Grassbaugh JA, Branstetter JG, Marchant BM, Arrington ED. Technical note: A simple surgical technique for subpectoral biceps tenodesis using a double-loaded suture anchor. Arthrosc Tech. 2013;2(2):e191-6. PMID: 23875150
- Scully WF, Teeny SM. Pseudotumor associated with a metal-on-polyethylene total hip arthroplasty. Orthopedics . 2013;36(5);e666-70. PMID: 23672921
- Scully WF , Fisher SG*, Parada SA, Arrington ED. Septic arthritis following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a comprehensive review of the literature. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2013;22(2):127-33. PMID: 23628565
- Scully WF , McMulkin ML, Baird GO, Gordon AB, Tompkins BJ, Caskey PM. Outcomes of rectus femoris transfers in children with cerebral palsy: effect of transfer site. J Pediatr Orthop . 2013;33(3):303-8. PMID: 23482268.
- Dunn J*, Scully WF , Crawford DA, Manoso M. Ipsilateral diaphyseal femur fracture following resection arthroplasty: A case report. J Arthroplasty . 2012;27(8):1580. PMID: 22386608
- Scully WF , Parada SA, Arrington ED. Allograft osteochondral transplantation in the knee in the active duty population. Mil Med. 2011;176(10):1196-1201. PMID: 22128659
- Crawford DA, Scully W , McFadden L, Manoso M. Pre-operative predictors of length of hospital stay and discharge disposition following primary total knee arthroplasty at a military medical center. Mil Med . 2011;176(3):304-7. PMID: 21456357
Published Educational Material
- Surgical technique video- Scully WF , Wilson DJ, Arrington ED. "Central" quadriceps tendon harvest with patellar bone plug: surgical technique revisited. Arthrosc Tech. 2013.
- Surgical technique video- Scully WF, Wilson DJ, Grassbaugh JA, Branstetter JG, Marchant BM, Arrington ED. Technical note: A simple surgical technique for subpectoral biceps tenodesis using a double-loaded suture anchor. Arthrosc Tech. 2013.
Submitted for Publication
- Scully WF, Benavides JM. Surgical tips for performing open fasciotomies for chronic exertional compartment syndrome.
- Foot and Ankle International, accepted for publication, March 2019.
- Scully WF, Rumley JC, Caskey P. Bilateral patellar stress fractures in a skeletally immature athlete: A case report.
- JBJS Case Connector, accepted for publication, March 2019
- Scully WF, Deren M, Bloomfield M. Catastrophic tibial baseplate failure of a modern cementless total knee arthroplasty implant.
- Arthroplasty Today, submitted March 2019.
- Scully WF, Deren M, Nageotte W, Molloy R, Krebs V. Well-fixed tibial cone removal in revision total knee arthroplasty. Surgical Technique.
- Arthroplasty Today , submitted February 2019.
- A biomechanical analysis of the effect of tibial baseplate malalignment on polyethylene wear
Authors: Scully WF , Higuera CA
Institutional Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- Femoral neck stress fractures in active duty personnel
Authors: Scully WF , Benavides J, Benavides L, Evanson JR, Rumley JCL
Institutional Affiliation: Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, GA
- "Riser finger"- a unique finger fracture from the Army Airborne school swing-landing trainer
Authors: Scully WF, Rumley JCL
Institutional Affiliation: Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, GA